Friday, May 10, 2013

Alex Anaya Signs with DII Powerhouse St. Cloud State


Downers Grove South Senior Alex Anaya put the icing on his high school cake this past week as he signed on to attend school and wrestle for St. Cloud State in MN.  St. Cloud State is a Division II school in MN that has finished as the National Runner-ups in NCAA Division II the past two seasons.  Anaya finished his Mustang career second all-time in career wins and earned All-State status during his senior year.  Throughout Anaya's career at Downers Grove South he won two Regional titles, was a three time Sectional Qualifier, a FR/SO State Champion, Freestyle State Champion, and Team IL National Team Member.  

St. Cloud State Head Wrestling Coach Steve Costanzo was excited about the opportunity to work with Anaya at St. Cloud St. “We are very excited in Alex’s decision to continue his wrestling and academics at St. Cloud State University,” said coach Steve Costanzo.  “Alex has a tremendous upside in the sport of wrestling and with hard work and the right attitude he will make a good college wrestler.  In addition to his mat skills, Alex is a tremendous person.  We look for individuals that fit the right mold to be a part our program and I believe we have found our guy.”

Anaya's signing with St. Cloud State is fulfilling a dream he has had since the 6th grade, "After I decided to stop playing football, and focus on wrestling is when I really knew that I wanted to do wrestling in college, but pretty much since 6th grade it has always been a dream of mine to wrestle on the next level," said Anaya.  Anaya had narrowed down his colleges to Indiana, UW-Whitewater (where older brother Willie wrestles), and St. Cloud State.  "I really thought about going to school with my brother but I felt I needed to make my own path in life, I have always been living in my brother's shadow at times and I felt this was the chance to go on my own. I ended up choosing SCSU because it had a very impressive wrestling team also it was a big school and the academics were good", Anaya said.  Anaya has already set several goals for himself over the next few years, "My goals is to make the starting lineup my freshman year. I also want to be a NCAA All American and Champ some day. I know it will be hard but I feel that this will be the school for me to reach these goals. Also as a team we will win NCAA  team championship next year, no doubt about it."  Anaya is undecided in his studies as of yet at St. Cloud State.  

While Anaya is excited about what the future will bring, he looks back at his time at DGS with fond memories, "I cant believe that high school wrestling is done.  Knowing the seasons seem so long, but I wouldn't trade any of my accomplishments, because even if I didn't achieve what I wanted, I feel Like it is going to pay off some day, and I am gonna look back at it as a time when I got better."  DGS is certainly better for the time that Anaya spent here.....











No comments:

Post a Comment